Nevada defeats Portland, 78-69
RENO, Nev. (AP)—Luke Babbitt scored 22 points as Nevada held off Portland 78-69 Monday night.
Brandon Fields added 17 points and Armon Johnson scored 16 as the Wolf Pack (8-5) improved to 7-0 at home this season.
Robin Smeulders scored 22 points to lead the Pilots (7-5).
Joey Shaw, who scored 14 points, and Babbitt hit back-to-back 3-pointers as Nevada built a 52-41 lead with 14 minutes to play. Johnson’s three-point play made it a 71-60 game with 1:56 to play.
Nevada scored the last 11 points of the first half to take a 36-31 lead at the intermission. Babbitt and Fields each hit 3-pointers to key the 11-0 run and Dario Hunt scored on a tip-in just before the buzzer.
Portland went on runs of 10-0 and 8-0 to take a 31-25 lead with five minutes to go in the first half.
- Nevada defeats Portland, 78-69
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0