Sam Houston State rolls past Auburn 107-89
AUBURN, Ala. (AP)—Gilberto Clavell scored 34 points, going 14-of-17 from the field, to lead Sam Houston State to an 107-89 victory against Auburn on Sunday for the school’s first victory against a Southeastern Conference opponent.
Corey Almond added 25 points and Lance Pevehouse had 13 off the bench for Sam Houston State (7-3), which shot 57.6 percent from the field.
Auburn’s Frankie Sullivan tied the game at 28 with two foul shots, but the Bearkats pulled away with 8:41 left in the half.
Sam Houston State shot 65.6 percent from the field and 9 of 15 from the 3-point line to take a 58-42 halftime lead.
Auburn (5-6) pulled within 86-72 with 8 minutes left in the game, but Sam Houston State hung on.
It was the most points Auburn has allowed since 1994, when Arkansas defeated the Tigers 117-105.
DeWayne Reed led Auburn with 19 points and Tay Waller scored 18.
- Sam Houston State rolls past Auburn 107-89
- The 10 highest-paid college basketball coaches
- One unlikely secret to Gonzaga's success: A recruiting pitch 'nobody really wants'
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin is the world's biggest Pitbull fan
- Death threats to a ref – the lunatics are threatening to overtake Kentucky's fan base
- Why Sindarius Thornwell's one-man NCAA tournament run ranks among best since 2000
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook