UMBC beats American 59-57
WASHINGTON (AP)—Chris De La Rosa scored 11 points including a jumper with 2 seconds left to give Maryland-Baltimore County its first win of the season, 59-57 over American University on Sunday.
The Retrievers (1-9) trailed nearly the entire first half and were down seven points to American (2-9) at halftime. But UMBC opened the second half on a 13-0 run and the teams stayed close the rest of the way.
A Matt Spadafora free throw gave UMBC a one-point lead with 1:24 left, and his jumper with just over a minute remaining put the retrievers ahead 57-55. Simon McCormack hit both free throws with 36 seconds left to tie the score at 57, setting up De La Rosa’s game winner.
Chauncey Gilliam led UMBC with 17 points.
Riley Grafft and Vlad Moldoveanu scored 14 points apiece for American.
The game was rescheduled from Saturday due to a snowstorm.
- UMBC beats American 59-57
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2