Grambling State holds off Northwestern State 63-62
NATCHITOCHES, La. (AP)—Donald Qualls scored 25 points, including sinking a pair of free throws with 11 seconds left, to lead Grambling State in a 63-62 win over Northwestern State on Wednesday night.
With the score knotted at 59-all with 2 minutes left, Dominic Knight hit one of two free throws to put Northwestern State ahead with 1:41 left to play.
Neither team scored for more than a minute, until Kevin Loyd’s layup put the Tigers (2-5) ahead 61-60 with 28 seconds remaining.
Damon Jones couldn’t convert on a layup and then a jumper to put the Demons (4-5) back ahead, and Knight’s late foul put Qualls on the line to seal the win for the Tigers. Jones dropped in a layup with 3 seconds left to pull the Demons within the final margin.
Loyd finished with 12 points for the Tigers, who snapped a four-game losing skid.
Will Pratt paced the Demons with 15 points.
- Suspension of Perry Jones may doom Baylor’s NCAA hopes
- Former Michigan State star Appling charged in new case
- Kentucky's Calipari: Willis won't miss games despite arrest
- St. Bonaventure coach Schmidt gets 1-year contract extension
- Louisville AD: School is waiting on NCAA investigation
- East Tennessee State dismisses Shemar Johnson from team