Grambling State holds off Northwestern State 63-62
NATCHITOCHES, La. (AP)—Donald Qualls scored 25 points, including sinking a pair of free throws with 11 seconds left, to lead Grambling State in a 63-62 win over Northwestern State on Wednesday night.
With the score knotted at 59-all with 2 minutes left, Dominic Knight hit one of two free throws to put Northwestern State ahead with 1:41 left to play.
Neither team scored for more than a minute, until Kevin Loyd’s layup put the Tigers (2-5) ahead 61-60 with 28 seconds remaining.
Damon Jones couldn’t convert on a layup and then a jumper to put the Demons (4-5) back ahead, and Knight’s late foul put Qualls on the line to seal the win for the Tigers. Jones dropped in a layup with 3 seconds left to pull the Demons within the final margin.
Loyd finished with 12 points for the Tigers, who snapped a four-game losing skid.
Will Pratt paced the Demons with 15 points.
- Grambling State holds off Northwestern State 63-62
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How Oregon shut down Kansas to advance to Final Four
- Has Gonzaga finally silenced the doubters?
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Best bets for Sunday's NCAA Elite Eight matchups
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina