Southern Miss beats Louisiana-Lafayette 71-53
HATTIESBURG, Miss. (AP)—Josimar Ayarza and Gary Flowers combined for 32 points and Southern Mississippi defeated Louisiana-Lafayette 71-53 on Tuesday night.
Ayarza scored 18 points and Flowers added 14 for the Golden Eagles (7-1), who are off to their best start since 2006 when they began 7-0.
Southern Miss held the Ragin’ Cajuns to 16.7 percent from the field in the first half (5 of 30) and led 29-17 at halftime.
The Golden Eagles outrebounded Louisiana-Lafayette 47-32 and didn’t trail in the contest.
The Ragin’ Cajuns (3-5) were led by Chris Gradnigo with 16 points and Tyren Johnson with 14. Louisiana-Lafayette was just 4 of 23 from 3-point range and trailed by as many as 22 points in the second half.
- Southern Miss beats Louisiana-Lafayette 71-53
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?