Fairfield beats Sacred Heart 93-77
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP)—Anthony Johnson scored 21 points and Derek Needham recorded a double-double, leading Fairfield in a 93-77 win over Sacred Heart on Sunday.
Needham had 19 points and grabbed 14 rebounds and Yorel Hawkins scored 17 for the Stags (8-2), who have won four straight.
Mike Evanovich, Lyndon Jordan and Ryan Olander scored 10 points apiece for Fairfield.
Corey Hassan dropped in a layup in the game’s first minute to give Sacred Heart its first and final lead at 2-0. The Stags went on a 16-5 run to take a commanding lead and never looked back. Hawkins scored seven of his 17 points during the early run.
The Stags led by 10 points at halftime and outscored the Pioneers (5-4) in the second half to seal the win.
Fairfield hit 31 of 37 foul shots compared to the Pioneers, who went just 6 of 14 at the line.
Chauncey Hardy paced Sacred Heart with 16 points.
- Fairfield beats Sacred Heart 93-77
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0