Miss St. routs UCLA 72-54 in Wooden Classic
ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP)—Ravern Johnson scored a career-high 29 points, Jarvis Varnado blocked seven shots and Mississippi State rolled to a 72-54 victory over UCLA in the Wooden Classic on Saturday.
Varnado also had 13 points and 11 rebounds as the Bulldogs (7-2) won their fourth straight, taking a 21-point lead at halftime and cruising to Mississippi State’s first-ever victory over UCLA.
Michael Roll scored 17 points and Malcolm Lee had 16 for the Bruins (2-6), who lost their fifth straight in discouraging fashion.
After hanging with top-ranked Kansas last weekend, UCLA shot poorly and couldn’t stay close to the Bulldogs during the second game of a doubleheader honoring John Wooden, the 99-year-old former Bruins coach.
- NCAA Riches to NBA Rags: No. 7, Billy Owens
- Notre Dame rallies to beat No. 2 North Carolina 80-76
- No. 3 Villanova too much for No. 11 Providence in 72-60 win
- No. 4 Maryland rallies for 72-61 win over No. 18 Purdue
- No. 19 Louisville rolls past Boston College 79-47
- Thornwell, No. 25 South Carolina top No. 8 Texas A&M 81-78