Sam Houston State rolls to 69-40 victory
HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP)—Gilberto Clavell scored 21 points Saturday to lead Sam Houston State to a 69-40 victory over Ecclesia College.
Corey Allmond and Preston Brown added 15 and 11 points, respectively, for the Bearkats (6-3).
Ecclesia (9-6), a member of the National Christian Collegiate Athletic Association, was led by Robert Valentine with nine points.
The Royals kept the game close in the first half, trailing by only eight, 26-18, with 1:31 to play. But the Bearkats went on a 7-0 run to go up 33-18 at intermission. Sam Houston outscored the Royals 36-22 in the second half.
“Ecclesia did a good job of holding the ball and working the clock offensively and that allowed us to get a lot of repetitions defensively which is something we need,” Sam Houston coach Bob Marlin said. “We worked on defense almost exclusively every day this week and looked better today.”
- Sam Houston State rolls to 69-40 victory
- The Latest: Pastner expects tough 1st season at Georgia Tech
- ACC looks to keep strong 2-year NCAA run going in 2017
- Ducks must handle expectations after last season's success
- Year 2 for Smart at Texas has NCAA tourney wish list
- Gilberts donate $15 million to MSU to help Breslin project