Sam Houston State rolls to 69-40 victory
HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP)—Gilberto Clavell scored 21 points Saturday to lead Sam Houston State to a 69-40 victory over Ecclesia College.
Corey Allmond and Preston Brown added 15 and 11 points, respectively, for the Bearkats (6-3).
Ecclesia (9-6), a member of the National Christian Collegiate Athletic Association, was led by Robert Valentine with nine points.
The Royals kept the game close in the first half, trailing by only eight, 26-18, with 1:31 to play. But the Bearkats went on a 7-0 run to go up 33-18 at intermission. Sam Houston outscored the Royals 36-22 in the second half.
“Ecclesia did a good job of holding the ball and working the clock offensively and that allowed us to get a lot of repetitions defensively which is something we need,” Sam Houston coach Bob Marlin said. “We worked on defense almost exclusively every day this week and looked better today.”
- No. 9 Ohio St. holds off Penn State 75-67
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember