California Baptist upsets Pepperdine 67-65
MALIBU, Calif. (AP)—Davey Hopkins scored a layup with 8.2 seconds left to help lift California Baptist to a surprising 67-65 victory at Pepperdine on Thursday night.
After Keion Bell’s basket gave Pepperdine a 65-64 lead with 20 seconds remaining, CBU’s Larry Dew threw a lob pass to Hopkins, who laid the ball in. The Waves turned the ball over on the next possession, and the Lancers’ Cesar Menjivar hit one of two free throws with 2.3 seconds left.
Mychel Thompson scored a season-high 22 points for Pepperdine, while Bell posted 21. Dew had 20 points for CBU and Justus Von Wright added 17.
CBU, an NAIA team, scored the first 12 points of the game. Pepperdine (3-7) didn’t take its first lead until Lorne Jackson hit a short jumper with 19:05 left in the game, giving the Waves a 30-28 lead. The Lancers rallied from a seven-point deficit in the final 2 1/2 minutes.
- Delaware 81, George Mason 78 OT
- Louisville's Pitino awaits NCAA interview about sex scandal
- Villanova No. 1 in AP college hoops poll for first time
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee
- White-hot Warney leads Stony Brook past Hartford 85-72
- Chattanooga gets 72-66 OT win over Mercer in SoCon showdown