Texas-Arlington tops North Dakota 75-65
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP)—Marquez Haynes had 22 points and Brandon Long had 18 points and nine rebounds to lead Texas-Arlington past North Dakota 75-65 Friday night in the first round of the Drake Hy-Vee Classic.
Armani Williams added 14 points for the Mavericks (4-2). Haynes and Williams had three 3-pointers each and Long had two.
Dustin Monsebroten had 19 points, including 10 of 11 free throws, to lead the Fighting Sioux (1-7). Travis Mertens had 14 points and nine rebounds, and Nick Haugen added 11 points.
After trailing 34-30 at the half, the Mavericks held North Dakota to just four field goals in the first 16 minutes of the second period. They forced 13 turnovers and made up points at the free-throw line by sinking 17 of 19 in the final 20 minutes.
- Lil Wayne wears Skylar Diggins’ Notre Dame jersey on stage
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the west returns and defense triumphs
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch