UAB defeats East Tennessee State 74-52
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP)—Elijah Millsap scored 15 points and grabbed 11 rebounds and Kenneth Cooper scored 11 points and had 10 rebounds in Alabama-Birmingham’s 74-52 win over East Tennessee State on Friday night.
The Blazers (8-1) won the rebounding battle 52-28 and outscored the Buccaneers 22-5 in second-chance points.
UAB won its seventh straight game as it honored former coach Gene Bartow by playing the inaugural Bartow Classic. Bartow’s son, Murray, is East Tennessee’s coach.
The Blazers led 37-25 at halftime as they opened to a 22-14 first-half rebounding advantage and scored 11 second-chance points.
Jamarr Sanders scored 17 points for UAB and George Drake chipped in 16.
The Buccaneers (4-5) were led by Mike Smith with 14 points. Justin Tubbs added 11 points and Isiah Brown grabbed 10 rebounds for East Tennessee, which lost for the third time in three meetings with UAB.
- Leonardo DiCaprio and his many college caps
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?