Coastal Carolina defeats VMI 111-97
LEXINGTON, Va. (AP)—Danny Nieman scored 22 points and Joseph Harris had 20 points and 10 rebounds to lead Coastal Carolina to a 111-97 victory over Virginia Military Institute in the Big South Conference opener on Thursday night.
Kierre Greenwood added 20 points as the Chanticleers (6-2) went 49-for-86 from the field (57 percent) and won for the fifth time in six games.
VMI (3-3), which entered leading the nation in scoring at 93.2 points a game, was led by Austin Kenon, who scored 31 points.
Coastal Carolina went on an 11-2 run in the second half to take a 70-61 lead with 14:28 left. Chad Gray scored the first two baskets and Logan Johnson hit a 3-pointer for the Chanticleers.
Gray added 14 points and 10 rebounds and Chris Evans scored 10 for Coastal Carolina.
Michael Sparks scored 18 and Keith Gabriel added 17 for VMI. Ron Burks added 11 points and 11 rebounds.
- Coastal Carolina defeats VMI 111-97
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in One Shining Moment
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four