Harris, UMass hang on to beat Quinnipiac 62-58
AMHERST, Mass. (AP)—Ricky Harris scored 19 points, 15 in the first half, as Massachusetts held on to beat Quinnipiac 62-58 on Wednesday night.
The Minutemen (3-4) had a 12-point lead, their largest of the game, with 6:17 to go but went without a field goal for the final 4:35.
The Bobcats (3-3) got within 59-55 with on James Johnson’s layup with 34 seconds left, but a free throw by David Gibbs and two by Anthony Gurley built UMass’ lead back to seven before Johnson hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer.
Harris came out hot in the first half, hitting his first five shots, but Quinnipiac led for much of the half. UMass took a 28-26 lead on two free throws by Matt Hill, part of a 9-0 run that helped the Minutemen go to halftime with a 35-29 lead.
Gurley added 15 points for UMass. James Feldeine scored 20 points and Johnson 13 for Quinnipiac, which also got 13 rebounds from Justin Rutty.
- MWC Preview: Ranking next season’s 12 best non-league games
- Former Chicago high school basketball standout gunned down
- Former Houston guard L.J. Rose to transfer to BYU
- Arkansas using overseas trip to help mesh overhauled roster
- UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12
- UNC gets 1-week extension to respond to 5 NCAA charges