Eastern Kentucky beats UC-Irvine 67-57
RICHMOND, Ky. (AP)—Justin Stommes scored 21 points to lead four Eastern Kentucky players in double figures as the Colonels beat California-Irvine 67-57 on Tuesday night.
Stommes, who came into the game averaging 19 points per game, has scored 20 points or more in three of the Colonels’ four games this season.
Josh Taylor added 16 points, Joshua Jones 12 and Josh Daniel 10 for the Colonels (3-1) in the O’Reilly Auto Parts Classic. Eastern Kentucky’s only loss came on the road to Pittsburgh.
Stommes shot 7-for-12 from the floor, and hit 7 of 8 free throws. Jones was 2-for-4 on 3-pointers, and was 6-for-6 from the foul line.
Both teams grabbed 30 rebounds, but the Colonels capitalized on 16 Anteaters’ turnovers. The Colonels led 31-23 at halftime and outscored the Anteaters 36-34 in the second half.
Mike Wilder scored 18 points to pace the Anteaters (2-3), who never led in the game.
- Eastern Kentucky beats UC-Irvine 67-57
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four