Charlotte beats Yale 88-74
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP)—Shamari Spears scored a career-high 28 points to lead Charlotte in an 88-74 win over Yale on Monday.
Spears, who sat out last season after transferring from Boston College, shot 13-for-15 from the field for the 49ers (3-1) in the NIT Season Tip-Off. He has scored 20-plus points in all three of his games for Charlotte, who rebounded from losing to No. 7 Duke its last time out.
Derrio Green added a career-high 18 points, all on 3-pointers. He finished 6-for-11 from beyond the arc. DiJuan Harris had 11 points, hitting 9 of 11 from the foul line, and Phil Jones scored 10.
The 49ers led the Bulldogs (1-4) by just one point at the half, but outscored Yale 47-34 in the second frame.
Jordan Gibson scored a career-high 25 points to lead the Bulldogs. Alex Zampier added 19 on 3-for-10 shooting, but went 11-for-13 from the free-throw line.
- Charlotte beats Yale 88-74
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat
- Sources: Michigan State freshman Miles Bridges plans to return to school
- Isaac Humphries' exit means Kentucky may lose eight of its top nine players
- The 12 most intriguing (or confusing) hires of the college basketball coaching carousel
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Allonzo Trier's return makes Arizona a leading candidate for preseason No. 1
- Roy Williams fires back at Maryland president, calling him a 'double idiot'
- Zach Collins enters draft, becomes Gonzaga's first one-and-done
- Memphis AD's statement on rash of transfers badly misses the mark