Savannah State beats Cent. Conn. State 53-45
SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP)—Rashad Hassan had 11 points and Savannah State never trailed in defeating Central Connecticut State 53-45 on Monday night.
Tracy Rankins added 10 points for the Tigers (2-0), who protected their lead throughout by holding the Blue Devils (0-2) to 36.2 percent shooting from field (17-for-47).
Central Connecticut State cut Savannah State’s lead to 34-32 on Shemik Thompson’s layup with 11:40 in the second half, but Hassan and Darius Baugh hit layups and Rankins hit a 3-pointer to build the advantage to 41-32 with 9:01 remaining in the game.
Hassan’s dunk gave Savannah State a 48-38 lead with 3:56 left.
The Tigers outrebounded the Blue Devils 39-28 behind eight from Arnold Louis and seven from Hassan.
Ten players scored for Savannah State.
Thompson led Central Connecticut State with 12 points and Robby Ptacek had 11 points and six rebounds.
- Undervalued in high school, Doug McDermott is now thriving
- Iowa State suspends Jameel McKay for violating team rules
- Macura's 20 points lead No. 6 Xavier over Marquette 90-82
- Ellis double-double for No. 7 Kansas in 75-56 win at TCU
- USC athletic director Pat Haden to step down in June
- No. 25 South Carolina looks for win at No. 8 Texas A&M