Elon edges Lipscomb 91-86
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP)—Josh Bonney scored 24 points and Drew Spradlin added 23 as Elon edged Lipscomb 91-86 on Saturday night in the season opener for both teams.
The Phoenix victory marked the first career win for new coach Matt Matheny.
Lipscomb jumped out to a 16-7 lead behind 13 points from Brandon Brown, but the Bisons couldn’t overcome a strong shooting performance by Elon, which was 35-for-69 from the field (50.7 percent).
The Phoenix countered with an 11-0 run to lead 18-16, and the lead changed hands nine times before Elon took a 41-38 advantage into halftime.
The Phoenix pulled ahead by 12 with 15:39 left, then Lipscomb drew within four points at 63-59. After nearly 2 minutes with no scoring by either team, Terrance Birdette hit a 3-pointer for Elon.
Brown and Adnan Hodzic scored 26 points apiece to lead the Bisons, who entered the game 8-0 in home openers at Allen Arena.
- Pitt wins 7th straight, drops Delaware State 71-43
- Hoosiers use late surge to upset No. 4 Hawkeyes 85-78
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold
- Bird scores 24 points, California beats No. 11 Oregon 83-63
- Emery propels BYU past San Francisco 114-89
- DeCosey scores 23, Temple rallies to beat UConn 63-58