Shank scores 19 to lead UTSA over Nicholls State
KATY, Texas (AP)—Joey Shank scored all of his 19 points in the second half to lead sixth-seeded Texas-San Antonio to a 57-55 victory over No. 2 seed Nicholls State on Friday in the semifinals of the Southland Conference tournament.
The Roadrunners (19-12), who knocked off No. 3 seed Sam Houston State on Thursday, will play for the conference title and an NCAA bid on Sunday.
Shank led a UTSA rally in the second half, scoring 14 of his team?s first 19 points to give the Roadrunners a 38-35 lead. Shank hit 4-of-7 3-pointers in that span.
Shank hit another 3 with 54 seconds to play for a 49-45 lead. Omar Johnson made 4-of-4 free throws in the final minute and Morris Smith IV hit two free throws with four seconds left to put the Roadrunners up by five.
Ryan Bathie and Anatoly Bose, two of five Australians on the Nicholls State team, led the Colonels (20-11) with 18 and 17 points, respectively. Bathie hit a 3 at the buzzer to make it a two-point game.
- Robin Lopez has game -- enough game to woo Michelle Wie
- Texas Tech upsets No. 14 Iowa State 85-82 in OT
- Tulsa rallies to hand No. 16 SMU 1st home loss 82-77
- Thornwell leads South Carolina to 94-83 win over LSU
- Hayes, Brown lead Wisconsin to 72-61 win over Nebraska
- Iowa big man Adam Woodbury silences critics