Alabama State defeats Arkansas-Pine Bluff 63-55
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP)—Andrew Hayles scored 16 points to lead Alabama State to a 63-55 victory over Arkansas-Pine Bluff in a Southwestern Athletic Conference tournament semifinal on Friday night.
The top-seeded Hornets (21-9) led throughout, and advanced to play second-seeded Jackson State today for the tournament title and the SWAC’s automatic NCAA bid. The teams split their regular-season games.
Both Alabama State and Arkansas-Pine Bluff (13-18) shot poorly—the Hornets were 21 of 62 (33.9 percent) and the Golden Lions were 20 of 70 (28.6 percent)— but Alabama State jumped out to a 10-0 lead and led by 18 with 14:01 left in the second half.
Alabama State’s Chief Kickingstallionsims had eight points, seven rebounds and five blocks.
Lebaron Weathers scored 13 points and had nine rebounds for fourth-seeded Arkansas-Pine Bluff. Gavin Montgomery added 12 points.
- Obama takes British prime minister to NCAA tournament game
- Kentucky's Calipari: Willis won't miss games despite arrest
- St. Bonaventure coach Schmidt gets 1-year contract extension
- Louisville AD: School is waiting on NCAA investigation
- East Tennessee State dismisses Shemar Johnson from team
- Alabama coach Avery Johnson gives supplies to flood victims