Alabama State defeats Arkansas-Pine Bluff 63-55
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP)—Andrew Hayles scored 16 points to lead Alabama State to a 63-55 victory over Arkansas-Pine Bluff in a Southwestern Athletic Conference tournament semifinal on Friday night.
The top-seeded Hornets (21-9) led throughout, and advanced to play second-seeded Jackson State today for the tournament title and the SWAC’s automatic NCAA bid. The teams split their regular-season games.
Both Alabama State and Arkansas-Pine Bluff (13-18) shot poorly—the Hornets were 21 of 62 (33.9 percent) and the Golden Lions were 20 of 70 (28.6 percent)— but Alabama State jumped out to a 10-0 lead and led by 18 with 14:01 left in the second half.
Alabama State’s Chief Kickingstallionsims had eight points, seven rebounds and five blocks.
Lebaron Weathers scored 13 points and had nine rebounds for fourth-seeded Arkansas-Pine Bluff. Gavin Montgomery added 12 points.
- Johnson's basket caps Fairfield's second-half rally in 69-67 win
- Texas Tech upsets No. 14 Iowa State 85-82 in OT
- Tulsa rallies to hand No. 16 SMU 1st home loss 82-77
- Thornwell leads South Carolina to 94-83 win over LSU
- Hayes, Brown lead Wisconsin to 72-61 win over Nebraska
- Iowa big man Adam Woodbury silences critics