Stephen F. Austin beats SE Louisiana 67-56
KATY, Texas (AP)—Josh Alexander scored 25 points, including 17 in the first half, to lead top-seeded Stephen F. Austin to a 67-56 win over Southeastern Louisiana in Thursday’s first round of the Southland Conference tournament.
The Lumberjacks, not a strong 3-point shooting team, scored 21 of their first 25 points from behind the arc. Alexander hit 4-of-5 3-pointers in the first half.
Matt Kingsley scored 13 points and had 17 rebounds for Stephen F. Austin (22-7).
Brandon Fortenberry led Southeastern Louisiana (13-17) with 13 points. Patrick Sullivan and Warrell Span each had 11.
Stephen F. Austin went cold in one stretch of the second half, failing to score for nearly six minutes. But the Lions managed only four points in that stretch and when Walt Harris hit a jumper with 4:24 to play Stephen F. Austin still led 58-48.
- Let's give Isiah Thomas the benefit of the doubt, shall we?
- UT Arlington beats Top 25 team first time in program history
- FSU scores most under Hamilton in 118-63 rout of Nicholls
- Former Baylor AD and basketball coach Menefee dies at 95
- Late free throw gives Indiana State win over No. 16 Butler
- No. 7 North Carolina holds off Davidson 83-74