Texas-San Antonio upsets Sam Houston St., 83-74
KATY, Texas (AP)—Devin Gibson scored 25 points and Omar Johnson added 20 to lead Texas-San Antonio to an 83-74 win over Sam Houston State Thursday in the first round of the Southland Conference tournament.
It was UTSA’s first win over Sam Houston State in five years.
Travis Gabbidon and Joey Shank each scored 14 for UTSA (18-12). Gibson scored 10 and Gabbidon and Johnson had nine each in the first half as UTSA led 34-30.
Shank hit three straight 3-pointers early in the second half and the Roadrunners hit 6-of-7 3-pointers in the second half as theyt led by as many as 12. UTSA hit 9 of 10 free throws the final 2:29 to seal the win.
The Roadrunners will face Nicholls State in the second round of the tournament Friday.
Preston Brown led Sam Houston State (18-12) with 13 points. Barkley Falkner, Ashton Mitchell and Lance Pevehouse each had 12.
- Texas-San Antonio upsets Sam Houston St., 83-74
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- South Carolina surprises again, advances to first Final Four
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game