Ark-Pine Bluff tops Southern 62-61 in SWAC tourney
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP)—Gavin Montgomery made three clutch free throws down the stretch to give Arkansas-Pine Bluff a 62-61 victory over Southern in the opening round of the Southwestern Athletic Conference tournament on Thursday night.
Montgomery scored 14 points in 19 minutes to lead the Golden Lions (13-17). Tavaris Washington chipped in with 11, and Savalance Townsend had eight points and 11 rebounds.
Chris Davis made a jumper to pull Southern (8-23) within one point, 59-58, with 5:46 remaining, but neither team scored again for the next five minutes. Montgomery made two free throws with 43 seconds left to give Arkansas-Pine Bluff a three-point lead, then made another 35 seconds later to ice the game.
Douglas Scott led the Jaguars with 12 points and 12 rebounds.
The fourth-seeded Golden Lions will face top-seeded Alabama State in the semifinals Friday night.
- Ark-Pine Bluff tops Southern 62-61 in SWAC tourney
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0