Hampton beats Delaware St. 51-32 in MEAC tourney
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP)—Darrion Pellum scored 12 points and Hampton held Delaware State to a season-low point total in a 51-32 victory on Tuesday night in the first round of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference tournament.
The seventh-seeded Pirates (16-15) advance to play second-seeded South Carolina State in Wednesday’s quarterfinals.
Vincent Simpson had 11 points, Brandon Tunnell dished out eight assists and Theo Smalling grabbed nine rebounds for Hampton, which shot 50 percent in the second half to pull away.
Hampton’s zone defense was the reason the Hornets (8-24) went more than six minutes without scoring to start the game, shooting 24 percent overall. Frisco Sandidge led Delaware State with 11 points.
The two lowest-scoring teams in the MEAC combined for 37 first-half points, with Hampton leading 21-16.
Both teams split the regular season series.
- Hampton beats Delaware St. 51-32 in MEAC tourney
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?