Seton Hall beats South Florida 68-54
NEW YORK (AP)—Jeremy Hazell scored 23 points to lead Seton Hall to a 68-54 victory over South Florida on Tuesday night, snapping the Pirates’ five-game losing streak in the Big East tournament.
Eugene Harvey added 16 points for Seton Hall (17-14) in the opening-round win that sent the 11th-seeded Pirates on to face sixth-seeded and 18th-ranked Syracuse in the second round on Wednesday at Madison Square Garden.
Dominique Jones had 14 points for the Bulls (9-22), who were making their first appearance in the Big East tournament since joining the conference four years ago.
Hazell scored 12 points in the Pirates’ 21-9 run to open the second half that gave them a 51-41 lead with 12:05 left. Seton Hall, which last won a game in the tournament in the opening round in 2003, pulled away by holding South Florida to three field goals over the final 11 minutes.
- UAB beats Florida Atlantic 76-43
- Former Chicago high school basketball standout gunned down
- Former Houston guard L.J. Rose to transfer to BYU
- OSU officials: Coger died after 40-minute outdoor workout
- NCAA to survey potential host cities on discrimination laws
- George Washington investigating basketball coach Lonergan