South Alabama beats Troy in Sun Belt quarterfinal
HOT SPRINGS, Ark. (AP)—DeAndre’ Coleman’s back-to-back basket and three-point play gave South Alabama a four-point lead and the Jaguars made enough free throws down the stretch Sunday in a 78-75 victory over Troy in a Sun Belt Conference quarterfinal.
South Alabama (19-12), took a 63-59 lead with 10:12 left and built a 75-68 lead, but couldn’t put the Trojans away. The Jaguars missed five of their last six free throw attempts.
The Trojans (19-12) missed their chances, too. Michael Vogler missed the front end of a one-and-one and the team had a shot-clock violation. Vogler also missed two 3-point tries in the final 17 seconds as Troy tried to tie the game.
Dominic Tilford scored 20 points and LaShun Watson 18 for South Alabama, which will play Arkansas-Little Rock in a Monday semifinal. Brandon Hazzard scored 22 for Troy.
- ACC Preview: Ranking next year’s 15 best non-league games
- Milton, Moore help No. 12 SMU rout South Florida 92-58
- McClellan, Newton lead No. 17 Miami past Georgia Tech 75-68
- Kansas State upsets top-ranked Oklahoma, 80-69
- Louisville's Pitino: Fine schools, coaches for violations
- No. 14 West Virginia beats No. 15 Baylor 80-69