Chattanooga tops Samford 81-70
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (AP)—Stephen McDowell scored 32 points to lead Chattanooga to a 81-70 win over Samford in the Southern Conference tournament semifinals on Sunday night.
McDowell capped a 17-7 run with a 3-pointer to give Chattanooga a 63-50 lead with 9:36 to go in the second. The Mocs (17-16) maintained at least an 11-point lead until the final minute, making that the final margin as well.
Chattanooga will face College of Charleston in the championship game on Monday.
McDowell was 9 of 16 from the field, including 7 of 10 from the 3-point line, and scored 19 points in the first half. Kevin Goffney added 13 points for the Mocs.
Bryan Friday led the Bulldogs (16-16) with 17 points and Trey Montgomery and Josh Davis added 16 apiece.
The Mocs trailed 27-25 before going on a 13-2 run capped by a McDowell 3-pointer with 3:31 to go in the first half.
- ‘Worldwide Wes’ may not have as much influence on Kentucky players as most folks think
- NCAA rules Florida's Gak ineligible to play in 2016-17
- Iowa State's Prohm adds former Alabama coach to staff
- UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12
- UNC gets 1-week extension to respond to 5 NCAA charges
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes new ACC Network