White, Thompson lead North Texas to Sun Belt win
HOT SPRINGS, Ark. (AP)—Tristan Thompson’s 4-point play started a 22-11 North Texas run Sunday that lifted the Mean Green to an 88-79 victory over Middle Tennessee in the quarterfinals of the Sun Belt Conference tournament.
North Texas (20-11), the league’s No. 4 seed, built a 40-27 lead after Thompson was fouled on a 3-point shot from the left baseline and led by no less than 8 points until late in the game.
The Blue Raiders hit four 3-pointers in the final 2:14 to cut the gap to 85-79, but Josh White’s six free throws in the final 1:24 kept North Texas’ lead safe.
White finished with 27 points while Thompson had 19. Montarrio Haddock scored 26 points and Desmond Yates had 15 for Middle Tennessee (18-14).
North Texas plays top-seeded Western Kentucky in a Monday semifinal.
- James Madison sets record for largest knockout game ever
- Kentucky's Calipari: Willis won't miss games despite arrest
- St. Bonaventure coach Schmidt gets 1-year contract extension
- Louisville AD: School is waiting on NCAA investigation
- East Tennessee State dismisses Shemar Johnson from team
- Alabama coach Avery Johnson gives supplies to flood victims