White, Thompson lead North Texas to Sun Belt win
HOT SPRINGS, Ark. (AP)—Tristan Thompson’s 4-point play started a 22-11 North Texas run Sunday that lifted the Mean Green to an 88-79 victory over Middle Tennessee in the quarterfinals of the Sun Belt Conference tournament.
North Texas (20-11), the league’s No. 4 seed, built a 40-27 lead after Thompson was fouled on a 3-point shot from the left baseline and led by no less than 8 points until late in the game.
The Blue Raiders hit four 3-pointers in the final 2:14 to cut the gap to 85-79, but Josh White’s six free throws in the final 1:24 kept North Texas’ lead safe.
White finished with 27 points while Thompson had 19. Montarrio Haddock scored 26 points and Desmond Yates had 15 for Middle Tennessee (18-14).
North Texas plays top-seeded Western Kentucky in a Monday semifinal.
- Sixty-eight things we’ve loved about the NCAA tournament
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- Wisconsin's Zak Showalter hits miraculous 3, celebrates with Aaron Rodgers' belt move (Video)
- De'Aaron Fox upstages Lonzo Ball, powers Kentucky to the Elite Eight
- North Carolina storms past Butler behind hot shooting and a healthy Joel Berry
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- These photos of Florida's buzzer-beater are almost as incredible as the shot itself
- Lonzo Ball basically declared for the NBA draft immediately after UCLA's NCAA tournament loss
- Commercials during March Madness mistakenly thank Republicans for repealing Obamacare