Kent St. comes back for 67-63 win over Akron
KENT, Ohio (AP)—Al Fisher scored 18 points and went 6-of-7 from the foul line to lead Kent State to a 67-63 home win over Akron on Sunday afternoon.
The Flashes (18-13, 10-6 Mid-American Conference) fell behind by as many as 10 points in the first half and bounced back from a 4-point halftime deficit to reclaim the lead midway through the second period.
Brett McKnight led Akron (19-12, 10-6) with 14 points. Anthony Hitchens had 13, including two foul shots that kept the game close near the end.
It turned into a nail-biter as Kent State took a 63-62 lead with a minute to go on a three-pointer by Mike McKee, who finished with 10. The Flashes clinched the win by outscoring the Zips 4-1 in remaining free throws and ended with a 23-7 advantage in second-chance points.
Kent starter Chris Singletary was ejected a minute into the game for a flagrant personal foul.
- Kent St. comes back for 67-63 win over Akron
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina
- These photos of Florida's buzzer-beater are almost as incredible as the shot itself
- Wisconsin's Zak Showalter hits miraculous 3, celebrates with Aaron Rodgers' belt move (Video)
- De'Aaron Fox upstages Lonzo Ball, powers Kentucky to the Elite Eight
- South Carolina stifles Baylor en route to Elite Eight
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- De'Aaron Fox carries Kentucky past UCLA
- Lonzo Ball 'looked disinterested', 'had one eye on the NBA'
- Lonzo Ball basically declared for the NBA draft immediately after UCLA's NCAA tournament loss
- Commercials during March Madness mistakenly thank Republicans for repealing Obamacare
- North Carolina storms past Butler behind hot shooting and a healthy Joel Berry
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look