N. Dakota St. escapes Centenary in Summit opener
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP)—Brett Winkelman was 12-for-13 from the free throw line and scored 30 points Saturday as top-seed North Dakota State beat Centenary 83-77 to avoid the upset in the first round of the Summit League tournament.
Ben Woodside added 23 points for the Bison. Woodside was 11-for-14 from the line and NDSU finished with a 28-12 advantage in free throw scoring.
NDSU (24-6) blew a 19-point halftime lead before rallying to advance to Monday’s semifinals where it will play the IUPUI-Southern Utah winner.
Centenary (8-23) erased a 48-29 halftime deficit and took its first lead at 68-67 on Nick Stallings’ free throw with 6:05 left. The Gents led 70-69 until Michael Tveidt’s two free throws with 3:32 to play put the Bison back on top.
NDSU scored all 14 points of its points from the free throw line in the last 3:32.
Chase Adams scored 28 points and Stallings added 21 for Centenary.
- Crazy missed dunk by Jamar Samuels goes down yet pops out
- Canisius hires Reggie Witherspoon as basketball coach
- Clemson signs another transfer, ex-Valparaiso F David Skara
- Lee will transfer from Kentucky, Briscoe returning to school
- Purdue's Swanigan will return to school for sophomore season
- White takes name out of NBA draft pool to return to Huskers