Utah State beats San Jose St. 89-77
LOGAN, Utah (AP)—Jared Quayle scored 21 points to lead five Aggies in double figures as Utah State topped San Jose State 89-77 Saturday night.
Pooh Williams scored a career-high 17 for the Aggies (27-4, 14-2 Western Athletic). Tai Wesley, Gary Wilkinson and Tyler Newbold each added 13.
The Spartans (13-16, 6-10) were led by Adrian Oliver with 20, Robert Owens 18, Chris Oakes 13 and DaShawn Wright 10.
San Jose shot 61 percent from the field in the second half. After trailing by double digits most of the game, the Spartans got the game within striking distance, 75-71 with 4:36 to play, after Oliver dropped in three free throws.
Quayle then scored eight consecutive points for USU to stop the San Jose rally. Quayle scored 18 in the second half, hitting six of seven attempts.
The Aggies led by as many as 20 points in the first half, taking a 43-27 halftime lead.
- Utah State beats San Jose St. 89-77
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- South Carolina surprises again, advances to first Final Four
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game