Santa Clara beats San Diego 80-69
LAS VEGAS (AP)—John Bryant had 24 points and a West Coast Conference tournament record 27 rebounds Saturday night to lead Santa Clara to an 80-69 victory against San Diego in the quarterfinals.
Bryant, the conference player of the year, had 17 first-half rebounds to help Santa Clara (15-16) build an early double digit lead and advance to the semifinals Sunday against top-seeded Gonzaga.
Bryant’s effort helped Santa Clara outrebound San Diego 47-24. Santa Clara, the tournament’s No. 4 seed, used an 8-0 run midway through the second half to stop a San Diego rally and take a 52-37 advantage with under eight minutes to play.
Kevin Foster was a perfect 12-for-12 from the free throw line for Santa Clara to finish with 21 points, and Marc Trasolini contributed 18 points.
- LSU unveils a 900-pound bronze statue in Shaq’s honor
- No. 22 Kentucky blows out South Carolina 89-62
- No. 5 Xavier finds shooting touch in 74-57 blowout at Butler
- No. 10 West Virginia routs TCU 73-42
- Barber's career-high 38 help NC State beat Wake Forest 99-88
- Kansas concerned about defending hot-shooting Oklahoma