McClinton scores 24, Miami beats NC State 72-64
CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP)—Jack McClinton overcame a slow start to score 24 points Saturday, and the Miami Hurricanes held North Carolina State without a field goal for more than 12 minutes in the second half and won 72-64.
McClinton missed his first seven shots before sinking a 3-pointer early in the second half. He finished 3-for-15 from the field but was 16-for-16 from the line.
The Hurricanes (18-11, 7-9 Atlantic Coast Conference) helped their slim hopes of making the NCAA tournament for the second year in a row. North Carolina State (16-13, 6-10) is likely out of the mix unless it makes a big splash in the league tournament.
The Wolfpack missed 12 consecutive shots during their drought, which began when they led 42-36. Javier Gonzalez ended the streak with a minute left to cut Miami’s lead to 63-56.
Gonzalez led North Carolina State with 19 points.
- The top five most absurd Clark Kellogg lines from the title game
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs