Jackson State beats Alabama A&M 77-63
JACKSON, Miss. (AP)—Grant Maxey scored 18 points to lead Jackson State to a 77-63 win over Alabama A&M on Saturday night in the regular-season finale for both teams.
Darrion Griffin and Garrison Johnson added 15 points apiece for the Tigers (16-14, 15-3 Southwestern Athletic Conference), while Jeremy Caldwell chipped in with 13. The Tigers won 11 of their final 12 games after starting the season 1-12.
Trant Simpson paced the Bulldogs (8-18, 6-12) with 17 points, while Cornelius Hester added 15. Alabama A&M lost seven of its final eight games.
The Tigers shot 50.8 percent from the field (31-for-61) and outrebounded the Bulldogs 49-32.
Alabama A&M shot 34.3 percent from the field (23-for-67) and 52 percent from the free-throw line (13-for-25).
The Southwestern Athletic Conference tournament begins on March 11.
- Jackson State beats Alabama A&M 77-63
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- South Carolina surprises again, advances to first Final Four
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How Oregon shut down Kansas to advance to Final Four
- Has Gonzaga finally silenced the doubters?
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament