Samford beats The Citadel 76-67 in SoCon tourney
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (AP)—Bryan Friday scored 22 points and Trey Montgomery added 20 as Samford upset The Citadel 76-67 Saturday night in the Southern Conference tournament quarterfinals.
Samford (16-15), a first-year SoCon member picked to finish sixth in the North Division, will play Chattanooga in Sunday’s semifinals.
Montgomery scored seven consecutive points early in the second half, capped by a three-point play with 16:43 remaining, as Samford pulled away to a 44-32 advantage. Samford, which shot 56.4 percent from the floor (22 of 39), stretched its lead to 49-34 on a Josh Davis 3-pointer with 14:57 left.
The Citadel (20-12), hoping to reach the league semifinals for the first time since 1998, was eliminated in its opening game for the sixth time in seven years.
Cameron Wells led The Citadel with 22 points on 9-of-18 shooting.
- The John Wooden commercial that gave you chills
- UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12
- UNC gets 1-week extension to respond to 5 NCAA charges
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes new ACC Network
- Beehive Classic features Utah, BYU, Utah State, Weber State
- Attorney: NCAA missed deadline to respond in Tyndall case