Marist 43, Iona 40
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - Ryan Schneider scored 14 points to lead 10th-seeded Marist to a minor 43-40 upset of seventh-seeded Iona in the opening round of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference tournament Friday night.
The teams combined to score the fewest points of any game in tournament history. The previous record of 86 was set in the 1985 meeting between Fordham and Manhattan, a 44-42 overtime win for the Rams.
David Devezin added 14 points for the Red Foxes (10-22, 5-14 MAAC), who advance to face second-seeded Niagara in Saturday’s quarterfinal round.
Schneider deked his defender and hit the decisive 3-pointer from the top of the key with 3:20 remaining to squelch a 7-0 run by Iona that had cut Marist’ lead to one.
Using a 15-2 run, Marist broke a 21-all halftime deadlock to go up for good.
- Marist 43, Iona 40
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina
- These photos of Florida's buzzer-beater are almost as incredible as the shot itself
- Wisconsin's Zak Showalter hits miraculous 3, celebrates with Aaron Rodgers' belt move (Video)
- De'Aaron Fox upstages Lonzo Ball, powers Kentucky to the Elite Eight
- South Carolina stifles Baylor en route to Elite Eight
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- De'Aaron Fox carries Kentucky past UCLA
- Lonzo Ball 'looked disinterested', 'had one eye on the NBA'
- Lonzo Ball basically declared for the NBA draft immediately after UCLA's NCAA tournament loss
- Commercials during March Madness mistakenly thank Republicans for repealing Obamacare
- North Carolina storms past Butler behind hot shooting and a healthy Joel Berry
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look