Marist 43, Iona 40
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - Ryan Schneider scored 14 points to lead 10th-seeded Marist to a minor 43-40 upset of seventh-seeded Iona in the opening round of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference tournament Friday night.
The teams combined to score the fewest points of any game in tournament history. The previous record of 86 was set in the 1985 meeting between Fordham and Manhattan, a 44-42 overtime win for the Rams.
David Devezin added 14 points for the Red Foxes (10-22, 5-14 MAAC), who advance to face second-seeded Niagara in Saturday’s quarterfinal round.
Schneider deked his defender and hit the decisive 3-pointer from the top of the key with 3:20 remaining to squelch a 7-0 run by Iona that had cut Marist’ lead to one.
Using a 15-2 run, Marist broke a 21-all halftime deadlock to go up for good.
- Duke's championship rings are more flashy than functional
- Kentucky's Calipari: Willis won't miss games despite arrest
- St. Bonaventure coach Schmidt gets 1-year contract extension
- Louisville AD: School is waiting on NCAA investigation
- East Tennessee State dismisses Shemar Johnson from team
- Alabama coach Avery Johnson gives supplies to flood victims