Oguchi leads Illinois St. past Evansville 78-68
ST. LOUIS (AP)—Champ Oguchi scored 20 points to lead third-seeded Illinois State past No. 6 Evansville 78-68 in a Missouri Valley Conference quarterfinal game Friday.
The Redbirds (23-8), who broke a three-game losing streak, advance to face second-seeded Creighton (26-6) in a semifinal game Saturday.
Lloyd Phillips had 16 points Illinois State and Osiris Eldridge added 14.
Shy Ely led Evansville (17-13) with a career-high 29 points on 11-of-22 shooting, while Kaylon Williams had 16 points.
Illinois State used a 15-3 run midway through the second half to go up 59-46. Oguchi led the spurt with a pair of slam dunks and Phillips, Emmanuel Holloway and Alex Rubin each added a 3-pointer during the run.
The Redbirds, who began the season 14-0, hit 51.8 percent from the field— their best effort in past 11 games.
- In even more improbable fashion than last year, Butler reaches Final Four
- Hield's 3-pointer lifts No. 3 Oklahoma past No. 24 Texas
- Big Week: South Carolina could move to top of SEC standings
- Villanova No. 1 in AP college hoops poll for first time
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee
- White-hot Warney leads Stony Brook past Hartford 85-72