VMI defeats Liberty 78-58
RADFORD, Va. (AP)—Chavis Holmes scored 22 points and twin Travis Holmes added 16 as Virginia Military Institute rallied to defeat Liberty 78-58 Thursday night in the semifinals of the Big South Conference tournament.
The second-seeded Keydets (24-7) trailed most of the first half and 32-27 at the break. VMI pulled ahead with 15:06 to go on a 3-pointer by Chavis Holmes to make it 39-38, then used a 30-10 run to lead by 21 with 5:43 left.
No. 3 seed Liberty (22-11) shot 30.3 percent in the second half (10 of 33).
Kyle Ohman scored 16 points to pace the Flames, while freshman Seth Curry had only 10. Curry, who scored 30 in the Flames’ quarterfinal win over Gardner-Webb, was 4 of 15 from the field and 1 of 8 from 3-point range.
The Keydets, who have won four straight, advance to Saturday’s championship game against North Carolina-Asheville or Radford.
- VMI defeats Liberty 78-58
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Oregon team breakdown
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Butler team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown