TSU beats Southern 67-66 with 1 free throw
HOUSTON (AP)—Nick Walker made a free throw with one second remaining and Texas Southern fought off a late surge to beat Southern University 67-66 on Thursday night.
Logging only nine minutes of game time, Walker made a layup with 1:31 remaining to give Texas Southern (6-24, 6-11 SWAC) a score of 65-62. Walker followed with 2 free throws, including the one that won them the game.
TSU’s DeAndre Hall led all scorers with 23 points. Jacques Jones scored 13 points before fouling out after 19 minutes of game time.
Steffon Wiley scored 18 points, including eight of Southern’s last 10, and made a game-tying free throw with :12 remaining.
Chris Davis added 18 for the Jaguars (8-21, 8-9).
- TSU beats Southern 67-66 with 1 free throw
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?