Tunnell leads Indiana St. over Drake
ST. LOUIS (AP)—Jay Tunnell scored 18 points and Rashad Reed added 15 and Indiana State held on for a 62-55 win over Drake in the first round of the Missouri Valley Conference tournament Thursday.
The Sycamores (11-20) led 44-23 after Tunnell sank a 3-pointer with 15:37 left in the game but struggled to hold the lead. Indiana State, which has won seven of eight games and faces top-seeded Northern Iowa in the quarterfinals Friday, made just three baskets the rest of the way.
Jonathan Cox led the comeback attempt for the defending tournament champions, scoring 18 of his 27 points in the second half. He scored 11 consecutive points for Drake (17-15) as the Bulldogs pulled to within 52-51 with 1:34 left.
Indiana State had an 18-2 run to end the first half, sinking four of its seven 3-pointers to take 33-20 halftime lead.
- Kirby helps Pacific past CS Northridge in OT
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- These photos of Florida's buzzer-beater are almost as incredible as the shot itself