Tunnell leads Indiana St. over Drake
ST. LOUIS (AP)—Jay Tunnell scored 18 points and Rashad Reed added 15 and Indiana State held on for a 62-55 win over Drake in the first round of the Missouri Valley Conference tournament Thursday.
The Sycamores (11-20) led 44-23 after Tunnell sank a 3-pointer with 15:37 left in the game but struggled to hold the lead. Indiana State, which has won seven of eight games and faces top-seeded Northern Iowa in the quarterfinals Friday, made just three baskets the rest of the way.
Jonathan Cox led the comeback attempt for the defending tournament champions, scoring 18 of his 27 points in the second half. He scored 11 consecutive points for Drake (17-15) as the Bulldogs pulled to within 52-51 with 1:34 left.
Indiana State had an 18-2 run to end the first half, sinking four of its seven 3-pointers to take 33-20 halftime lead.
- Tunnell leads Indiana St. over Drake
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four