KALAMAZOO, Mich. (AP)—David Kool forced overtime by hitting a jumper with 1 second left, then scored nine of Western Michigan’s 13 points in overtime in the Broncos’ 84-82 victory over Ball State on Wednesday night.
Shawntes Gary had a game-high 27 points for Western (10-19, 7-8 Mid-American), which saw a 38-24 halftime lead vanish as the Cardinals (13-15, 7-8) rallied to tie the score, 61-61, on a Maurice Hubbard jumper with 4:57 left in regulation.
Ball State led the rest of the way until Kool tied it. He finished with 22 points. Flenard Whitfield had 13 points and Michael Redell added 11 points and nine assists for the Broncos.
Jarrod Jones led the Cardinals with 20 points, Brandon Lampley added 19 and Hubbard had 14 off the bench.
- Kool, under pressure, leads WMU past Ball State
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?