Mississippi State defeats Florida 80-71
STARKVILLE, Miss. (AP)—Ravern Johnson scored 15 points to lead Mississippi State to an 80-71 victory over Florida on Wednesday night, ending the Gators’ hopes of capturing the Southeastern Conference East crown.
The win put Mississippi State (18-12, 8-7) back into contention to finish second in the SEC Western Division.
The Gators (21-9, 8-7) were only 7 of 25 from the 3-point line.
After 10 lead changes, Mississippi State ended the first half on a 7-0 run to lead 42-33. The Bulldogs never trailed in the second half and led by as many as 16 points.
Jarvis Varnado had 13 points and eight rebounds for the Bulldogs, and Barry Stewart added 12 points.
Walter Hodge paced the Gators with 20 points, Alex Tyus had 16 points, Nick Calathes added 11 points and Dan Werner chipped in 10.
- Jim Nantz dominates the Auto-Tune
- Kentucky's Calipari: Willis won't miss games despite arrest
- St. Bonaventure coach Schmidt gets 1-year contract extension
- Louisville AD: School is waiting on NCAA investigation
- East Tennessee State dismisses Shemar Johnson from team
- Alabama coach Avery Johnson gives supplies to flood victims