Middle Tennessee St. tops Arkansas St. 69-62
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (AP)—Kevin Kanaskie had 13 points to help Middle Tennessee State hold off Arkansas State 69-62 Wednesday night in the first round of the Sun Belt Conference tournament.
Middle Tennessee (18-13), the No. 5 seed, led 34-25 with 18:04 left, but the No. 12-seeded Red Wolves used a 15-5 run to pull ahead 40-39 with 11:32 left. The Blue Raiders quickly regained the lead on a Kanaskie layup and never trailed again, making 7 of 8 free throws in the final minute.
Arkansas State (13-17) suffered its 10th straight loss while Middle Tennessee advances to the tournament quarterfinals to face No. 4 seed North Texas on Sunday in Hot Springs, Ark.
Montarrio Haddock added 12 points for the Blue Raiders, Nigel Johnson had 11 and Desmond Yates chipped in 10.
Daniel Bryant scored 18 points to pace the Red Wolves while Donald Boone and Shawn Morgan had 10 apiece.
- Middle Tennessee St. tops Arkansas St. 69-62
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Oregon team breakdown
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Butler team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown