Middle Tennessee St. tops Arkansas St. 69-62
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (AP)—Kevin Kanaskie had 13 points to help Middle Tennessee State hold off Arkansas State 69-62 Wednesday night in the first round of the Sun Belt Conference tournament.
Middle Tennessee (18-13), the No. 5 seed, led 34-25 with 18:04 left, but the No. 12-seeded Red Wolves used a 15-5 run to pull ahead 40-39 with 11:32 left. The Blue Raiders quickly regained the lead on a Kanaskie layup and never trailed again, making 7 of 8 free throws in the final minute.
Arkansas State (13-17) suffered its 10th straight loss while Middle Tennessee advances to the tournament quarterfinals to face No. 4 seed North Texas on Sunday in Hot Springs, Ark.
Montarrio Haddock added 12 points for the Blue Raiders, Nigel Johnson had 11 and Desmond Yates chipped in 10.
Daniel Bryant scored 18 points to pace the Red Wolves while Donald Boone and Shawn Morgan had 10 apiece.
- Middle Tennessee St. tops Arkansas St. 69-62
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in One Shining Moment
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four