UMass holds off George Washington, 77-62
AMHERST, Mass (AP)—Ricky Harris had 19 points and Tony Gaffney added 11 points, 10 rebounds, five steals and three blocked shots as Massachusetts edged George Washington, 77-62, on Wednesday.
The win clinched the Minutemen (11-17, 6-9 Atlantic 10) a berth in next week’s conference tournament in Atlantic City. UMass is guaranteed the No. 11 seed in the field and will play a first round game against the No. 6 seed.
George Washington (10-17, 4-11) needs to beat Temple on Saturday and for Charlotte to beat St. Bonaventure to get in.
The Colonials led 36-33 at halftime and after an early second half surge by the Minutemen, took the lead again 50-48 on a dunk by Rob Diggs, who led George Washington with 22 points and nine rebounds.
But a 3-pointer by freshman David Gibbs’ started a 7-0 Minuteman run that gave UMass the lead to stay.
Damian Hollis added 12 points, nine rebounds and five assists for George Washington.
- UMass holds off George Washington, 77-62
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0