UMass holds off George Washington, 77-62
AMHERST, Mass (AP)—Ricky Harris had 19 points and Tony Gaffney added 11 points, 10 rebounds, five steals and three blocked shots as Massachusetts edged George Washington, 77-62, on Wednesday.
The win clinched the Minutemen (11-17, 6-9 Atlantic 10) a berth in next week’s conference tournament in Atlantic City. UMass is guaranteed the No. 11 seed in the field and will play a first round game against the No. 6 seed.
George Washington (10-17, 4-11) needs to beat Temple on Saturday and for Charlotte to beat St. Bonaventure to get in.
The Colonials led 36-33 at halftime and after an early second half surge by the Minutemen, took the lead again 50-48 on a dunk by Rob Diggs, who led George Washington with 22 points and nine rebounds.
But a 3-pointer by freshman David Gibbs’ started a 7-0 Minuteman run that gave UMass the lead to stay.
Damian Hollis added 12 points, nine rebounds and five assists for George Washington.
- Who could have predicted this Final Four three weeks ago?
- Judge to review surveillance video in Appling gun case
- Arkansas using overseas trip to help mesh overhauled roster
- Former Chicago high school basketball standout gunned down
- Former Houston guard L.J. Rose to transfer to BYU
- OSU officials: Coger died after 40-minute outdoor workout