VMI routs Coastal Carolina 96-76
LEXINGTON, Va. (AP)—Travis Holmes scored 20 points and twin brother Chavis Holmes added 21 to lead Virginia Military Institute to a 96-76 win over Coastal Carolina in the first round of the Big South Conference Tournament on Tuesday night.
The Keydets (23-7), the No. 2 seed hosting a conference tournament game for the first time since joining the Big South in the 2003-04 season, split the regular-season series with the seventh-seeded Chanticleers (11-20).
Leading 45-36 at halftime, VMI broke open the game with a 20-5 run to start the second half and led by as many as 27 points.
Austin Kenon added 15 for the Keydets, who will play No. 3 seed Liberty on Thursday night in the semifinals.
Steven Sexton and Anthony Breeze scored 15 apiece for the Chanticleers.
Coastal Carolina’s Joseph Harris had 13 rebounds to break the Big South single-season record of 342.
- Mark Titus enters NBA draft, is kindly asked to leave
- UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12
- UNC gets 1-week extension to respond to 5 NCAA charges
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes new ACC Network
- Beehive Classic features Utah, BYU, Utah State, Weber State
- Attorney: NCAA missed deadline to respond in Tyndall case