Liberty beats Gardner-Webb 88-77
LYNCHBURG, Va. (AP)—Seth Curry scored 30 points and Liberty defeated Gardner-Webb 88-77 in the first round of the Big South Tournament on Tuesday night.
Liberty (22-10) took control early as it ran out to a 22-4 lead on a 3-pointer by Kyle Ohman with 13 minutes left in the first half.
The Flames led by as many as 37-14 on Anthony Smith’s free throw with 6:30 remaining in the first half.
Ohman scored 18 points, Smith added 16 and Tyler Baker tallied 14 for Liberty, which reached Thursday’s semifinals against VMI.
Gardner-Webb (13-17) was led by Jonathan Moore with 20 points. Joshua Henley added 13 and Grayson Flittner notched 12 for the Bulldogs, who competed in their first Big South Tournament after becoming a full-fledged member this season.
Liberty shot 21 of 25 from the free-throw line (84 percent) compared to Gardner-Webb’s 16 of 23 (69.6 percent).
- Plucking Dalonte Hill from K-State is a huge coup for Maryland
- Kentucky's Calipari: Willis won't miss games despite arrest
- St. Bonaventure coach Schmidt gets 1-year contract extension
- Louisville AD: School is waiting on NCAA investigation
- East Tennessee State dismisses Shemar Johnson from team
- Alabama coach Avery Johnson gives supplies to flood victims