The Citadel beats Georgia Southern 74-53
STATESBORO, Ga. (AP)—Demetrius Nelson notched a double-double, scoring 22 points and grabbing 11 rebounds, to lead The Citadel in a 74-53 win over Georgia Southern on Monday night.
The win clinched the second seed for the Bulldogs (20-11, 15-5 Southern Conference) in the SoCon tournament, meaning they will have a first-round bye. The tournament starts on Friday in Chattanooga, Tenn.
Cameron Wells added 20 points as the only other player in double figures for the Bulldogs, who closed the season with 12 wins in their last 13 contests. The top two scorers for the Bulldogs were also perfect from the foul line, as Nelson went 12-for-12 and Wells went 8-for-8.
Antonio Hanson scored 14 points to pace the Eagles (8-21, 5-15), who closed the season on a three-game skid. The Eagles are seeded fifth in the conference tournament and play Appalachian State on Friday.
- How did the tradition of cutting down the nets begin?
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons